KWIK SEW

This was a super challenging project. I found this beautiful embroidered sheer in the drapery department at work. The stuff with the scallop trim started life out as a cafe curtain fabric. But in my mind’s eye I saw a beautiful little girls dress. So I bought the shorter cafe curtain for the sleeves, and the longer cafe curtain fabric for the skirt.

The first mistake i made was the sleeves. I forgot about the flower up near the shoulder. On my first cuts, one flower was on the back of the sleeve, the other side on the front. So back to work to buy more fabric. I then laid out one of the original sleeves to get an exact reverse match for the shoulder flower. This meant that the scallop at the bottom no longer matched at the cut edges. Another sewing challenge then, to stretch only one side of the underarm seam so I could line up the scalloped edge.

IMG_2150IMG_2151

IMG_2152

Set in sleeves. Another challenge. I am familiar with set in sleeves, on a MUCH LARGER scale, and with a single layer of fabric. I could not leave the sleeves unlined, because my girl has severe allergies to man made fibres and man made fibres cause severe eczema.

I’m going to to have to finish this blog entry later. I have 4 screaming children to deal with.

IMG_2376IMG_2377IMG_2378IMG_2379IMG_2380IMG_2381IMG_2382

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s